Pink

Pink

8.14.2007

Waxing Nostalgic...

I had this book when I was a little girl, called "A Child's Garden of Verses" by Robert Louis Stevenson. I loved it. Very much. I don't remember where I got it, a gift, probably, but from whom, (who...whom, whatever...) I do not remember.


This was probably my favorite:


The Swing
by Robert Louis Stevenson

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!


Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--


Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!


I don't know why I am blogging about this, I just felt kind of mellow this afternoon and was thinking about being a child and how these were the days I treasured the most...the "lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer". Of course, my memories of when I was little, like Z-man and Flower are quite hazy, it was then, when I was not tainted by life's atrocities and abuses (until the age of 7) I was probably most happy.


A little older, maybe around 9 or 10, we had this swing set out in the back yard, behind the garage...a place where, at the right time of day, no one could really find me. I loved to swing on that set!! I really thought no one knew I was there...there was never anyone around, in my yard or in the neighbors, so I would sing, at the top of my lungs, every song I knew! Barbra Streisand had nothing on me singing the entire score from Funny Girl! Or becoming Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music or Mary Poppins. And Nancy Sinatra??? pphhhfff! "Who Will Buy" never sounded so sweet. I memorized Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Jack Jones, Perry Como, Judy Garland...my respite. My own swinging sanctuary.


Anyway, I loved swinging, and I really loved that book. Along with a few others that were kept at my Grandma's in Green Bay. So...I was just thinking about that today...weird, but true. I leave you with two adorable pics of my Z-man and Flower swinging...don't they look so contented and happy???



3 comments:

Buzz Stephens said...

Speaking of Judy Garland, there is an exciting, and wildly popular new group on Yahoo called The Judy Garland Experience. The group features lively discussions, great photo's, and the most amazing music files anywhere. This week they are featuring a retrospective of Judy's performances at the London Palladium 1951-1969 with all never before released performances. They also have all of Judy's tracks from The Hollywood Palace as well as many other rarities. And if that's not enough they are even featuring a rare solo concert that Liza Minnelli performed at The Palladium a few years back.
The membership of the group includes Garland family members, other celebrities, author's, people who have made films about Judy Garland, and fans from all levels and backgrounds. The only thing missing is you!
Come check it out, you may never want to leave!
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/?yguid=291582832

Anonymous said...

You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

jw26pt2 said...

Wow, this was a great post. I would put an exclamation point there but it's more of a quiet greatness. It's so poignant, I can SO see you as a young girl singing and swinging your little heart out.
We sure had a great time today. You both really pulled out all the stops at dinner! Thanks
BFF