Pink

Pink

1.08.2008

January Thunder

"When you used to tell me that you chase tornadoes, deep down I thought it was just a metaphor."
One of my favorite movies is "Twister"...the first time I saw it, we were sitting in BFF's living room...they had rented the video. I was intrigued. I thought..."I would love to do that!" The thrill...the rush...I get all goose-pimply.

Yesterday was one of those days. It was around 3:50 when the sirens went off. Rachigga and I were talking about the wedding. I flipped on the news. It would hit UG in 30 minutes. We called BDILE to make sure she was aware and alright. She was headed for the basement. Rachigga went to be with her beloved. Chief came home. The sirens went off again. He called BDILE. She was still in the basement. Cheerios had to move all his residents into the basement at the group home and wait. We continued to watch the news. More stories of tornado touchdown. Wheatland...Lake Geneva...Paddock Lake. We waited.

Another siren. Should we go downstairs? (Now...by this time in the reading of this story, I can hear BFF saying "YES...GO DOWNSTAIRS!") Of course, we didn't. The sky was magnificent. Churning and full of power. Of course, I took some pictures.

"You've never seen it miss this house, and miss that house, and come after you!"

A few hours later...after three more sirens...we received a call from one of our congregants. Her sister called her...sister goes to Prayer House. It was destroyed. The choir room. The sanctuary. When Chief hung up, he called our friends Sly and Bebo because they live within blocks of the church. Their home was fine...the house next door: the tornado ripped right down the middle of it. Sly's brother shot video. He was on the news.
These were pictures of Prayer House.

Scorpsdiva (MY sister) was sitting next to me and called HER friend from that same area...his garage was hit...the breezeway destroyed and his truck took the brunt of the damage. He would walk to another friends home on the bidding of Scorpsdiva because the friends' phone was out and she is fairly home bound.

Tacos El Rey, a favorite local restaurant had it's roof ripped right off.

We were never touched. We barely saw rain. Cheerios and BDILE are fine. Would I still chase after a tornado? Probably. For now...I pray for the families without power. Without homes. Without their church.

1 comment:

jw26pt2 said...

Yikes-a-malooney!! When we wanted to avoid January weather in WI, I never imagined tornadoes! I'm so sorry to hear about Prayer House and Tacos El Rey (my favorite besides La Hacienda/El Sarape). I'm very glad to hear that you were all fine -- somehow I was sure you were -- and YES, I would've been in the basement, after DRAGGING you there. Those pix from your house gave me the creeps. I saw pix of our condo buildings on Channel 12's website.
Thanks again for your visit! What a great time we had! We will definitely do that again.
Love, BFF