Pink

Pink

3.10.2008

Maybe I need a letter...

Chief preached a sermon yesterday on Timothy. Unfortunately, this post isn't about his wonderful sermon (sorry, honey). And it was wonderful!

It just got me to thinking about the letter itself. No one writes like that anymore. Actually, I'm not sure if anyone BUT Paul wrote like that. A letter of utter encouragement and discipline. Altogether in one shot. Like the letters to the Hebrews (really, it's not for certain that Paul is the author of this letter, but for this blog, let's just assume he is), the Ephesians, the Philippians, Titus, the Galatians...you get the idea...who writes like that? Still...think about it. Wouldn't you like to write something that profound? Have anyone in mind?

Isn't there someone in your circle of family or friends who could use a good "letter"? Do you have the hutzpah? Why are we so afraid to speak the truth to those we honestly love? When in the world did we get so tolerant of the sin around us? I guess "in the world" would be the key phrase here. Jesus...Peter...Paul...James...John...they were not so tolerant. Truth abounds in their words and in their writings. We hear it preached to us from the pulpit...and we nod our heads in agreement. We may even say an "amen" or two. We MAY even shout out a "PREACH IT" once in a while when it hits us directly. BUT...are we willing to BE the one writing the letter we listen to on Sunday morning?

Are we willing to stand on God's principles to reach out to that family member who is really happy, but is, in the long run, hurting themselves? Are we willing to speak truth into that person's life? "LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart" Psalm 15:1-2 Certainly WE are not blameless. On the contrary, we are about as imperfect as any creature could be, but, as a Believer, it is our responsiblity to not tolerate sin. To be loving in our rebuke...and we DO need to rebuke when it's necessary.

Tolerance. Where is THAT in God's Word? Yep...I found it. Romans 2:3-5 says this: "So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance? But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed."

This passage is not talking about OUR tolerance, but GOD'S tolerance. Does God tolerate sin? Absolutely not. Should we? No. We should not. We should live our lives realizing God's kindness towards us...which leads us to repentance...which leads us to His grace and mercy...which leads us to His ultimate gift of salvation.

Should we, maybe, be writing a letter to OURSELVES? Probably. But I think we do an injustice to those we profess we love when we tolerate the sin in which they live. Oh please...don't get all high and mighty on me and believe for one minute that you will not be judged for your indifference to a loved ones blatant blasphemy you disguise as tolerance of their life style. "Everyone has a RIGHT to believe any way they choose." You are also saying "Everyone has the RIGHT to live for eternity in Hell...I am going to heaven, why should I care?"

This was actually a difficult blog for me. Undoubtedly because I am the worst offender of apathetic tolerance. It's been on my mind for the past week or so. Because of the book I am reading on Humility by Andrew Murray. How can I put on the humility of Christ when I am blatantly aware of my sin? I can't. I can only trust that each and every day when I come before my Father and I repent, I mean it and He forgives me. Completely. We need to share that with those who live in tolerance. God does not, cannot, will not TOLERATE sin. Any sin. As humans, we put a "degree" on sins committed...but God is clear when He says "the wages of SIN is death." BDILE actually shared a message about this very thing in our Bible study Saturday morning...I should thank her for her words of discipline and encouragement...THANK YOU!

So...for all of you that actually READ my blogs...(thank you, by-the-way) I am the one who needs a letter...any takers?

3 comments:

theciskekidsrblessings said...

I agree totally, and it unfortunate that many "believers" will justify their sins for whatever reason seems to be "right" in their eyes. When the Bible is the truth, there are no exceptions. And like we talked about, it should truly greive our spirits as it greives God's. I guess we are getting closer to that time where everyone wants to hear what their "itching ears want to hear".
Good blog!!!

Anonymous said...

Are you asking to be rebuked? Smiles, I am certainly not the one to do that Jo. Frankly we all need a letter, but will our hearts AND our minds be open to it? probably not right away. I find we are some of the most judgmental people around, including judging ourselves. Will a letter actually help?
Anyway, when I DO tell it like it is, heh, people just don't like me! Leaves a hug, Lori

LA Nickers said...

Adored this honest post!

Love to you and "chief."

Still miss sitting with you in the old choir (although I'm no longer doing that either).

Blessings,

L

http://nickersandinkblog.blogspot.com
http://themanepoint.blogspot.com
http://practicallyathome.blogspot.com